Saturday, July 3, 2010

Freestyle

Here’s the game plan: I’m going to type whatever comes into my head. No deleting (except in case of misspellings or grammatical mistakes). No plan, no outline. Nothing. I’ll do this for five minutes or until I get tired. (EDIT: I actually wound up writing for about nine minutes. I apologize for my failure to meet expectations.)

Starting… NOW!

Everyone types, but most people don’t really think about it. There’s a lot to consider. The keyboard arrangement, for instance. I keep hearing about arrangements other than the standard QWERTY setup, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen any. I mean, I’ve never seen a DVORAK keyboard, although I keep reading about them. Strange.

There’s visible variation between different QWERTY keyboards, though. Laptop keyboards are often condensed, but I usually don’t have issues with those. One of my friends used to have this really bizarre keyboard, where the keys were set up in arches, with a split in the middle. Sort of like a Roman amphitheater, but for typing instead of plays. It was a major hassle to use. I’ve also read about laser keyboards. A tiny projector projects a keyboard made of light onto whatever surface it’s sitting on. Your fingers break lasers as they touch the light-keyboard, and it types. Pretty wild, if you ask me. Unfortunately, I’ve never seen one in stores.

Light is pretty strange. It exists as both a particle and a wave. Totally crazy. That’s like the ice cubes in your drink existing in your drink, perfectly stationary, while simultaneously traveling across the room as a wave. Well, maybe not exactly like that, but sort of close. Needless to say it’s pretty bloody bizarre. If Plank’s constant was bigger, tennis balls would behave like light beams. You’d hit them whilst in particle form, they’d dissipate into waves while moving, then re-condense into particles at their destination.

Imagine how that could revolutionize golf.

1 comment:

  1. If you want to use a dvorak keyboard, you can always go into windows language settings and tell it to take input like it was. Minor hassle in that the keys are then labeled wrong, but good for playing around.

    ReplyDelete