Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Culinary Adventures

While I'm no cook, I do enjoy dabbling with food every so often. I'll combine a few different foods and see how they taste together. And while I shy away from extreme combination, (I'm looking at you, fish fingers and custard), my combos tend to be a bit eccentric.

Enter this strange little fellow: the Ice Cream Cereal Cup

Exhibit A: Ice Cream + Cereal = This Guy

While it isn't anything revolutionary, it's certainly an entirely new ice-cream-eating experience. Making it is simple enough:
  1. Gather the following items:
    • Ice cream scooper
    • Mug/tea cup
    • Frosted Flakes cereal
    • Vanilla ice cream
  2. Pour some Frosted Flakes into the bottom of the mug/tea cup. You want a reasonably thin layer covering the bottom.
  3. Scoop out a layer of ice cream, and put it on top of the layer of cereal.
  4. Mash the heck out of both layers with the ice cream scoop. You want to crunch those Frosted Flakes to itty-bitty-bits. Crush them like it's nobody's business. Make those layers as thin as you can.
  5. Repeat steps 2-4 until you've filled the mug.
  6. Eat and enjoy. I used a spoon for this, but you can use whatever tools (or lack thereof) suit your fancy. Serves one.
Actually eating the Ice Cream Cereal Cup is a bit surreal. The Frosted Flakes don't add a whole lot of flavor to the ice cream, but it drastically changes the consistency. Your creamy ice cream is now crunchy ice cream. Almost like melty, delicious ice-cream-crackers. It sounds (and looks) pretty strange, but it actually tastes pretty delicious. (Trust me.)

Looks weird, tastes good.

Anyway, if you're feeling brave (or bored), feel free to try making this. (It takes about 5-7 minutes, and clean up is a breeze.) Let me know how it turns out.

4 comments:

  1. I can believe that this tastes good. I imagine that you have to eat it sort of quickly before the cereal goes soggy, though. I'll have to try it as soon as I have 1)ice cream, and 2)frosted flakes. Maybe I could substitute pudding and rice krispies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, my security word for that last comment was "expoizer." Definition ideas? I'm going to write to the OED to make this official.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ice cream with granola = awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. chocolate pudding with quakes.
    omnomnom

    ReplyDelete